Carrots are one of nature’s wonders! We take this everyday vegetable for granted. Sure, we love raw carrots but roasting them takes them to a new level both for flavor and bioavailability! Roasting brings out the natural sugars as well as making the Beta-carotene more available for absorption in the body. Using carrot greens for the classic Italian relish (gremolata) to garnish the roasted carrots makes this a superfood recipe.
For more health information about carrots, click here.
Roasted Carrots with Carrot Top Gremolata
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Three bunches (2 pounds) of orange or colored carrots with tops or mix
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (more if needed)
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons lemon or orange juice
Carrot tops, washed, well dried and chopped to make ½ cup
¼ cup flat parsley, washed, well dried, trimmed of stems, and chopped
1 medium fresh garlic clove, pressed or minced
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon or orange zest
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- If not already trimmed, trim carrot tops about two inches above the root. Wash and dry between paper towels or a tea towel and refrigerate until use.
- Wash and scrub carrots with a vegetable brush under running water. Dry well.
- Leave carrots whole or cut into long diagonal slices. Place on a half sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with Kosher salt and black pepper. Toss well with your hands. This can also be done in a bowl and transferred to the pan. Spread out the carrots in one layer.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally or until carrots are tender and lightly browned. Drizzle with lemon or orange juice and toss to coat. Transfer to a platter.
- Meanwhile, be sure parsley and carrot tops are dry. In a small bowl, combine carrot tops, parsley, garlic and lemon or orange zest.
- Top the carrots with the gremolata and serve immediately.
Adapted from barefootcontessa.com and cookieandkate.com