In the South, the fresh beans are anticipated with bated breath! Tender baby beans and peas are enjoyed all summer along with our fresh tomatoes, corn, and more. This salad adds to the highly nutritious baby lima bean with corn, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, and garlic! The combination of the corn and beans makes it a delicious complete protein on its own.
Fresh Baby Lima Bean Salad
Makes 4 to 6 servings
For the salad:
12 ounces baby lima beans fresh or frozen (thawed)
3 cups chicken broth
1 slice thick cut bacon
1 cup fresh corn kernels (two ears)
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1 red bell pepper, diced (about one cup)
1 green bell pepper, diced (about one cup)
1 small red onion, thinly sliced (about one cup)
For the dressing:
4 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt and more to taste
Black pepper to taste
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine the lima beans, broth, and bacon in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook until the beans are tender and cooked through, about 10 to 12 minutes. Add the corn during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Remove and discard the bacon and drain the beans and corn. Set aside to come to room temperature.
- Sprinkle the garlic cloves with about 1/4 teaspoon salt. Use the flat side of a chef’s knife to press down on the garlic and drag it across the cutting board. Keep mincing, pressing and dragging the garlic until it forms a paste. Place in a large bowl. Add the vinegar, honey, and celery seeds.
- Gradually whisk in the oil until combined. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Add the lima beans and corn tomatoes, peppers, and onions and toss until combined.
- Season with additional salt and pepper as needed. Serve at room temperature.
Adapted from Becky Satterfield of satterfieldsrestaurant.com